Archived Pasta, Salad & Appetizer Recipes
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons Creole mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Mixed salad greens
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
3 Satsuma oranges, peeled and sectioned*
• Whisk together first 5 ingredients until well blended.
• Toss together mixed salad greens, onion, and Satsuma segments.
• Drizzle with vinaigrette.
Gautreaux Pasta Salad
1 ½ package of tri-colored or spiral noodles
1 bunch green onions, chopped (reserve the green tops for later)
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
2-3 stalks of celery, diced
1 small can of sliced black olives
¾ lb. hard salami or ham (about three, ¼” thick slices), diced
Grape or Cherry Tomatoes (optional)
¾ C Parmesan cheese
1 C Mayonnaise
1 C Italian dressing (can be any kind, creamy or regular)
½ C Ranch dressing
1 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp Tony’s
1 clove garlic, minced
3 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
• Boil noodles as per package directions and drain
• Rinse with cold water
• Mix noodles with vegetables and meat
• Pour in dressing mix and stir
• Add in Parmesan
• Top with green onions
• Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving
Tip: If you make a day ahead, you may want to add a ½ batch of dressing mix before serving if the sauce looks like it has been absorbed by the noodles.
Special thanks to Jason Gautreaux for submitting this recipe!
Eight Layer Salad
(1) 8-10oz package of salad, any variety
(1) 12 oz container of cottage cheese
½ C chopped red onion
(1) 10oz package frozen peas, thawed
½ C grated parmesan
6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1 C Ranch dressing
1 C. Real crumbled bacon pieces (Located in our salad dressing isle)
• In a large bowl, layer ingredients in order listed
• Chill until serving time
Tomato and Green Pepper Salad
3 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
3 medium green peppers, coarsely chopped
1 medium cucumber, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 clover garlic, finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
¼ C. snipped parsley
3 tablespoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon pepper
• Mix all ingredients in glass or plastic bowl
• Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours
• Serves 8-10
Black Bean Salsa
1 Can(15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (10oz) Rotel™
Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained
½ C. whole kernel corn, frozen or canned
¼ C. finely chopped red onion
¼ C. finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp. lime juice
¼ tsp. ground cumin
Tortilla chips, tacos or burritos
• Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl
• Cover and refrigerate 30 min to allow flavors to blend
• Serve with tortilla chips, tacos or burritos
Greek Pasta Salad
3-cups uncooked tricolored rotini pasta (9 oz)
1-large green bell pepper, cut into strips
1-large orange or yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
1-can (14 oz) artichoke hearts, drained, cut into quarters
1-package (4 oz) crumbled feta cheese (1 cup)
2/3-cup pitted Kalamata olives
1/2-cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained, chopped
1-cup Greek vinaigrette or Italian dressing
1/4-teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
Chopped fresh parsley, if desired
• Cook and drain pasta as directed on package
• Rinse with cold water; drain
• In very large (4-quart) bowl, mix remaining ingredients except parsley
• Add pasta; toss
• Sprinkle with parsley
Grilled Potato Salad
8 bacon slices
4 medium-size red potatoes cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 5 cups cubed)
1 large white onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
Potato Salad Dry Rub (below)
Potato Salad Dressing (below)
Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
Potato salad dry rub
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
1/8 teaspoon celery seeds
Directions for rub:
• Stir together all ingredients. Store in an airtight container up to 1 month.
Potato Salad Dressing
5 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Directions for dressing:
• Stir together all ingredients. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Directions for Salad:
• Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat
• Cook bacon, in batches, in a large skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet, crumble bacon
• Add potatoes, onion, and Potato Salad Dry Rub to hot drippings in skillet, tossing to coat
• Remove potato mixture with a slotted spoon
• Grill potato mixture, covered with grill lid, over 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat in a grill wok or metal basket 30 minutes or until tender, stirring every 5 minutes
• Transfer mixture to a large bowl
• Add Potato Salad Dressing, and toss to coat
• Stir in bacon
• Garnish, if desired
• Serve warm
*Source: Southern Living
Creamy Cucumber Salad
4 cucumbers, thinly sliced (3 to 4 pounds)
2 small red onions, thinly sliced in half rounds
4 cups (32 ounces) plain whole-milk yogurt
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
2 tablespoons champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
1/2 cup minced fresh dill
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
• Mix the cucumbers, red onions, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt in a bowl.
• Pour them into a colander and suspend it over a bowl.
• Wrap the bowl and colander with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator to drain for at least 4 hours or overnight.
• Discard the liquid that collects in the bowl.
• Pour the yogurt into a sieve lined with a paper towel and suspend it over another bowl. Wrap the bowl and sieve in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
• Discard the liquid that collects in the second bowl.
• When the cucumbers are ready, roll them up in paper towels or a kitchen towel and press the towel lightly to remove most of the liquid.
• Place the cucumbers and yogurt in a large bowl with the sour cream, vinegar, dill, 2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper.
• Toss well and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend.
• Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and serve chilled.
Bell Pepper Slaw
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
Freshly ground pepper
6 bell peppers (red, orange and yellow), cut into thin strips
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
4 scallions, chopped
1/2 head green cabbage, thinly sliced and roughly chopped
3 tablespoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
1/2 cup mayonnaise
• Whisk the sugar and 2 teaspoons salt with the vinegar in a large bowl until dissolved.
• Add the celery seeds, mustard seeds, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, the bell peppers, celery, scallions and cabbage, and toss to combine.
• Refrigerate at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to develop.
• Add the mustard and mayonnaise to the slaw and toss to coat.
• Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Mango Rice Salad with Grilled Shrimp
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
• 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
• 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
• 4 teaspoons curry powder
• 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 36 shrimp)
• 2 cups water
• 2/3 cup light coconut milk
• 1 1/4 cups uncooked long-grain rice
• 3/4 cup shredded carrot
• 2 cups diced peeled mango (about 2 mangoes)
• 1 1/2 cups diced red bell pepper
• 1/2 cup sliced green onions
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• Cooking spray
• Cilantro sprigs (optional)
• Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add shrimp; toss to coat. Cover and chill 1 hour.
• Bring water and coconut milk to a boil in a medium saucepan; add rice.
• Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
• Add carrot and next 7 ingredients (through salt); toss gently to combine.
Prepare grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
• Thread 3 shrimp onto each of 12 (6-inch) skewers.
• Place skewers on grill rack or grill pan coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes on each side or until shrimp are done.
• Serve skewers over salad. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
Rice Salad with Asparagus
2-2/3 cups cooked brown rice
1 lb. asparagus spears, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces and cooked
1 cup shredded carrots
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/3 cup Kraft Free Honey Dijon Dressing
1/4 cup Planters Dry Roasted Sunflower Kernels
• Toss rice, asparagus, carrots and lemon zest in large bowl.
• Add dressing; mix lightly.
• Sprinkle with sunflower kernels.
6 cups (16 ounces) uncooked Ziti or penne noodles
3 ½ C. spaghetti sauce
2 C. (16 ounces) ricotta cheese
1 C. (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ C. chopped fresh parsley
1 egg slightly beaten
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon graded Parmesan cheese
• Cook noodles according to package instructions until almost done, drain and rinse in cool water
• In large bowl, combine Ziti, 1 ½ C. spaghetti sauce, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, parsley, egg, oregano, garlic powder and pepper.
• In 3-quart casserole pour ½ C. spaghetti sauce; pour Ziti mixture over sauce; sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.
• Bake, uncovered at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
• Serves 8
Serve with French bread and Italian Roasted Zucchini
Grilled Pepper Poppers
1 pound Bacon
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
6 oz. aged provolone cheese, shredded (1½ cups)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
18-20 large jalapenos
1 packet (1 ounce) Hidden Valley® The Original Ranch® Dips Mix
16 ounces sour cream
• Mix dipping sauce ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl and refrigerate.
• Fry bacon, drain, and let cool.
• Crumble bacon into cream cheese and add all additional ingredients.
• Mix together well.
• Place cream cheese mixture inside a quart size food storage bag.
• Cut off one of the corners to make a pastry bag.
• Cut off the top of the peppers approximately ¼ of an inch from the base of the stem and set tops aside.
• Stuff cream cheese mixture in top of peppers and replace caps.
• Wrap each pepper tightly in foil.
• Place wrapped peppers on the grill grate directly over a hot bed of charcoal and turn frequently for 10-12 minutes.
• Remove from the grill, let cool, unwrap and serve with Hidden Valley Ranch dipping sauce to cool down the spice from the peppers.
• Serves six (6).
*Last updated 1/2/11